CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 9, 2009

Ready...Set...You Bet????

OK......I am TOTALLY stressed out!!!! I have Kindergarten registration on the 17th!! My baby can go to school.....BUT, talking to people has raised a TON of questions!! Such as..... 1. Should he stay or should he go.....talking to some of the CTR5 moms and only 2 (including Jackson) are going.. one who's bday is right after Jackson could go but his mom has decided to hold him back (she also has a degree in early childhood devel.) I have also heard that alot of moms of boys who have bdays close to July hold their child back so that he will be bigger and older in his class to help with sports and such...... AHHHHH we are thinking of putting him in and then see how he does and maybe keep him in another year so he would do kindergarten twice...but would he get bored? Both have pros and cons.... 2. Morning or Afternoon....morning takes a bus, afternoon does not, but I have heard from some teachers that pm is better because they work out all the lesson kinks on am kids..... Ok so all in all I am not mature enough for this lol! I am sure he would be find no matter what we decide, but this can affect him for the rest of his life.....help me out and give me some advice!!! I plan to attend the temple and pray about this this week and even fasted about it on sunday...but I am really bugging out here!!! HELP!!!!

12 comments:

Cindy said...

The bus will be nice. It gives you an option. You can always drive him if it doesn't work out for some reason. I wouldn't worry about the "working the kinks out" thing. Most teachers have been doing this for a while and will already have the kinks worked out. I would say that more important thing is to get the best teacher. So ask the other Mom's who they liked or didn't like AND why. Some of the parents around here didn't really like Kaden's teacher because she is really structured, but I feel like it was really good for him. As far as holding him back.... That's tough. I don't know what I would do. I am going to go ahead and send Grace, but she is a girl and I don't think that it matters as much for girls. That's a tough one. I would say look at Jackson and what you feel like is best for him. And your right, if you go ahead and send him this year and you feel like it's not working you can always pull him out or send him again next year. Good luck!!!

Zach and Shanna said...

Oh boy, this has been one I've struggled with lots too! My oldest was a September baby, so she is the oldest in her Kindergarten class. She LOVES it and really "gets" everything. I work in her class and watch some of the younger kids who struggle a little more, but they're all doing okay. My next one is going to Kindergarten next year and she seems sooo not ready in comparison, but I'm going to send her anyway because she's excited and she's a girl so she's a little more emotionally mature. But I look at the things my 6 year old is doing right now and I think "are you kidding me?!? my 4 year old has to be doing these same things one year from now?!?!" I'm going to have to work with her a lot more!! My son is a summer baby and he is WAY less mature than the girls. He has been large steps behind them on everything...so I will watch him, but if things continue as is, I'll hold him back. Boys mature much more slowly than girls. AND more than the sports thing for me is the mission thing. I want him to be able to go sooner after high school if he wants to rather than having to wait an entire year. That's tough. And as far as AM/PM, we have the same bus situation around here, but I opted to send my oldest PM anyway because she does better in the PM. But my second gets really tired in the PM, so I'm going to send her AM. And do be sure to ask about teachers. Be picky and do what's best for your child!! They are all different and every situation is different. You'll know what to do...your his mom!! Sorry about the novel! It's fun to check in on you occasionally.

Jene and Megan said...

You have some tough decisions to make and I am no help on any of them!! But, ultimately you are his mom and you will know what is best for Jackson. Don't stress too much!!

Heather said...

I'm sorry this is stressing you out so much. It really is a hard decision. I'm sure Jackson will do well with whatever you decide.

Anyway, cute blog...I'm glad you commented so I could find yours (I had totally fogotten what the address was).

Thanks for doing Zumba...it's so fun and I love having an outlet with some ladies a few times a week, not to mention a new way to work out!

Me said...

RJ was born in Aug.. Justin wanted to hold him back for sports reasons. I felt RJ was too smart to not go and I was ready for it also. My arguement was neither one of us knows if he will even want to play sports but we knew mentally he was ready to learn. I wish I could have started him in 1st grade where he was testing at but mature wise wasn't.

Jacobson Five said...

I would be all about the bus. Most teachers have been teaching for more then a year so they have stuff worked out. It is such a pain to have to load everyone up to take and pick up from school. I am so glad we have the bus.
As far as the age thing. I guess it depends on your child. My kids are always more then ready for school. Trust me they don't have to know much to go to kindergarten.
Good luck with your decision.

Felisha said...

I have been freaking out as well about kindergarten. I want to send Kate to a charter school in Orem but the convience of down the street is right there. What do I do? Well I won't know if she gets into the charter school for a few more weeks, so I will wait and see. I want to PM, so we aren't so rushed in the mornings and then it breaks up the day. I don't know what to do. She is in PM preschool and I like it a lot. No rush in the mornings and taking our time, get things down in the mornings and then school, come home and play for a bit and dinner and then bed. I have a mom who is willing to pick Kate up in the mornings and I would pick up her kid when I pick up Kate. It would be nice but this is so hard! I am excited for her to go. She has been in preschool for 2 years now and loves it. Mia is going there next year for 2 years, she misses the deadline so we are doing it all a year later. It works out. Preston is a July baby and I will wait and see where he is maturely. My brothers stayed back in Junior High for sports/maturing reasons. I think it was really good for them. I would do it later on when they can do more in school and not be so bored. My opinion! Good luck!

Bobbi Simkins said...

well i don't know if this helps at all, but my b-day is july 17 and i was the youngest in my class. the last to drive and date (in fact i didn't quite make it to 16!) it was too hard watching all my friends drive and go to dances without me :( so i cheated a little on the dating and driving :)bryce was in August and i think my mom wishes she would have waited on him. i did fine academically though? good luck!

Jewels said...

Oooh, that is a tough one! Since when did we become old enough to worry about Kindergarten registration? You are right - he will be fine no matter what you decide. My Birthday is in September and I was older than most kids in our grade. I LOVED that. I can see the draw to do that with a boy, sports and all! Then you think about how old will he be when he graduates, how long he'll have at home before he goes on a mission...stuff like that. I think the AM class would be better, personally - he's more alert and focused. You will know what to do, don't worry! Trust your instincts and whatever you decide, it will be the right decision. Good luck!

Jill said...

I am so with you on this one! I am going to have this problem with both my GIRLS!!!! Do I want them to be able to date so early when they're sophomores? Are they going to kill me if they never get to go out their ENTIRE soph. year while all their frieds are? Are they too smart of dumb? Oh, the decisions!!! Anxious to know what you do.

Jill said...

Oh my word. They're probably dumb, just like their mom. Look at all my typos!!!

L and T said...

I feel your pain girl
we held Quinn, Aug 15, have had no regrets so far
but sent Audrey, July 15, no regrets so far
ask his preschool teacher what she thinks